CENTRAL MICHIGAN (19-17, 8-1 MAC) at BOWLING GREEN (9-23, 4-8)
Friday-Sunday, April 21-23 • Steller Field • Bowling Green, Ohio • Radio: WMHW 91.5-FM • Live Stats: cmuchippewas.com
• Central Michigan will take on Bowling Green in a three-game Mid-American Conference series beginning on Friday at 3 p.m. The teams are scheduled to play Saturday and Sunday. Both games are set to begin at 1 p.m.
• The Chippewas have the top record in the MAC, and lead the West Division, at 8-1. Eastern Michigan, which is 7-2 in league play, is one game back in the division. East-leading Kent State is also 7-2 in conference games.
• The pitching matchups (CMU starter listed first): Friday, Dazon Cole (2-4, 4.47 earned run average) vs. Tyler Anderson (2-6, 3.18); Tyler Hankins (4-0, 3.79) vs. Chandler Stillings (0-2, 6.50); Pat Leatherman (4-4, 4.78) vs. Zac Carey (3-3, 4.53). Hankins and Stillings are left-handers.
• CMU dropped an 8-3 decision on Tuesday to Notre Dame in the annual Clash at Comerica. Last weekend the Chippewas took two of three games from Western Michigan in a MAC series, falling in Sunday’s finale, 11-2.
• The Chippewas had not lost back-to-back games since March 21 and 24, when they fell first to Michigan State and then to Missouri State.
• Bowling Green has lost four consecutive games – the Falcons were swept in a MAC series last weekend at Ball State – and six of its last seven. Prior to that recent skid, the Falcons had on three consecutive games, their longest win streak of the season.
• The Chippewas rank third in the MAC with a .286 team batting average, and are fifth with a 5.51 team ERA. Bowling Green is 11th in hitting (.226) and 10th in ERA (6.23).
• CMU is scheduled to play Oakland in a nonconference game on Tuesday at Jimmy John’s Field in Utica. Jimmy John’s is home to the United Shore Baseball League, an independent minor league.
• The Chippewas then will go to Kent State for a three-game MAC series April 28-30.