CENTRAL MICHIGAN (8-12) vs. MISSOURI STATE (14-6)
Mount Pleasant, Mich. • Theunissen Stadium • WMHW 91.5-FM • Livestats: cmuhippewas.com
• Central Michigan plays host to Missouri State this weekend in a three-game series. The teams will play a doubleheader on Friday beginning at 12:05 p.m. Game 3 of the series is to be announced and will hinge on the weather forecast.
• The Chippewas are coming off an 11-2 loss at Michigan State on Tuesday. Last weekend, CMU won three of four games at Northwestern.
• Missouri State defeated New Orleans, 7-2, on Tuesday. It dropped two of three to Memphis last weekend.
• Sophomore right-hander Dazon Cole will start the opener for CMU against left-hander Jordan Knutson. Cole is 1-3 with a 4.13 earned run average, while Knutson is 3-1 with a 3.06 ERA. In Friday’s nightcap, CMU freshman left-hander Tyler Hankins (1-0, 4.05) will square off against Dylan Coleman (2-1, 3.41). In the series finale, sophomore Pat Leatherman (1-3, 8.28) will start for the Chippewas opposite Doug Still (2-0, 3.00).
• Senior shortstop Alex Borglin is off to a hot start at the plate for the Chippewas. The leadoff hitter is batting .383 and is tied for the team lead with 31 hits. He has scored 20 runs, which ranks second on the team. Eight of his hits have gone for extra bases, and he shares the team lead in that category with Daniel Jipping.
• Sophomore Daniel Robinson is hitting .348 and is tied with Borglin for the team-lead with 31 hits. Robinson leads the Chippewas with 20 RBI.
• The Chippewas committed a season-high four errors in Tuesday’s loss at Michigan State, and four CMU pitchers surrendered a combined 17 hits.
• Missouri State is led by third baseman Jake Burger, who was named to USA Baseball’s Golden Spikes Award Preseason Watch List. The award goes to the top amateur baseball player in the country.
• Burger ranked second in the nation last year with 21 home runs while hitting .349 with 72 RBI. He earned All-America honors. He is hitting .359 with nine homes runs and 23 RBI this season.
• Missouri State closer Bryan Young has allowed one earned run in eight appearances (nine innings) and has posted three saves.
• The Chipppewas go to Michigan on Wednesday, March 29 (4 p.m.), for a nonconference game, then are scheduled to open Mid-American Conference play with a three-game series at home against Miami (Ohio) next weekend.