CMU Heads West to Take On Portland and Washington
Courtesy: CMU Athletic Communications
MOUNT PLEASANT, Mich. - The Central Michigan soccer team will continue its six-game road campaign at the Nike Portland Invitational in Portland, Ore. this weekend. The Chippewas will face Portland on Friday, Sept. 6 at 7 p.m. and Washington on Sunday, Sept. 8 at 12 p.m.
• CMU (0-2-1) struggled to find the back of the net as the Chippewas dropped games at ninth-ranked West Virginia (4-0) and at Pittsburgh (1-0) last weekend.
• Freshman goalkeeper Heather Laeufer played strong in net, tallying a career-high seven saves at West Virginia and four saves at Pittsburgh. Laueffer's start in Morgantown was the first of her career.
• Junior midfielder Emily Cooksey provided offensive pressure against Pittsburgh, recording four shots, including three on goal.
• Junior forward Laura Gosse and senior forward Jennifer Gassman lead CMU in scoring with one goal each, both recorded against Detroit on Aug. 25.
• Portland (2-0-1) is ranked 16th in Soccer America's Top 25 after recording wins against 14th-ranked Marquette (1-0) on Aug. 23 and at Oregon (2-1) on Aug. 25. The Pilots also tied with No. 2 Stanford (1-1) in Palo Alto, Calif. last Saturday.
• The Pilots are led by senior goalkeeper Erin Dees, who owns a 0.62 goals against average and 13 total saves in three games. Junior midfielder Emily Sippel leads Portland in scoring with a goal and two assists along with senior forward Micaela Capelle who has five shots on goal.
• Washington (1-3-0) lost both games of its home stint against 11th-ranked Baylor and Boise State last week. The Huskies' lone win of the season came in overtime against UNC Greensboro, 1-0, at the No Ka Oi torunament in Honolulu, Hawaii.
• Junior Huskie forward Jaclyn Softi scored the game winning overtime goal against UNCG, which gave head coach Lesle Gallimore her 200th career victory at Washington.
• Both games this weekend will be played at Merlo field in Portland, Ore.
• The Chippewas are back on the road next weekend, traveling to Bloomington, Ind. for matches against Ohio State and Indiana.
• CMU returns home for the first time in nearly a month on Friday, Sept. 20, hosting Dayton.