Gender Equity Committee Presents to Board of Trustees
Courtesy: CMU Athletic Communications
Following nine months of work, the committee's preliminary findings recommend that Central Michigan add a minimum of two female sport programs in the immediate future to maintain its current state of compliance with Title IX. CMU and the Department of Education continue to work collaboratively on additional action that ensures future compliance.
No action was taken at today's board meeting. The committee's work will continue throughout the fall on official recommendations, including which sports to add and a proposed timeline. The committee will submit its formal recommendations to the Board at its December 6 meeting.
"I commend the committee for a very thorough job of dissecting the current state of athletics and finding no specific disparities between genders," said Director of Athletics Dave Heeke. "We are very proud of and are committed to maintaining our long-time history of compliance and look forward to seeing the committee's final recommendations so we remain compliant well into the future."
As the committee looks at potential sport programs to add, it will examine Mid-American Conference sport participation, NCAA sponsored sport programs, regional high school participation in the state of Michigan and Midwest recruiting states, as well as interest of participation from the on-campus population.
Importantly, the committee reported today it found equal treatment of male and female student-athletes during its rigorous review of scholarships and other programmatic benefits such as facilities, practice times, tutoring, travel, apparel, equipment and marketing.
CMU President George E. Ross charged the Title IX: Gender Equity Committee in January 2011. Members of the committee are:
CMU's Title IX: Gender Equity Committee members are:
• Judy Chandler (Chair) - Faculty/Physical Education & Sport
• Sam Russell - Student-Athlete/ Baseball
• Marie Reimers - Student /Student Government Association-Diversity Chair
• Tom Anthony - Faculty/ Finance & Law
• Phil Kintzele - Chairperson/ School of Accounting
• Cristy Freese - Head Coach/Field Hockey
• Margo Jonker - Head Coach/Softball
• Kevin Love - Faculty/ Management /Faculty Athletics Representative
• Holly Hoffman - Faculty/Counseling & Special Education
• Jeannie Jackson - Director of Office of Civil Rights & Institutional Equity
• John Fisher - Associate Vice President/ Resident & Auxiliary Services
• Kim Voisin - Assistant Director/ Residence Life
• Mary Roy - Assistant General Counsel
• Marcy Weston - Executive Associate Director of Athletics/Sport Administration
• Derek van der Merwe - Deputy Athletics Director/Chief Operation Officer