CMU Director of Athletics Dave Heeke Signs New Contract
Courtesy: CMU Athletic Communications
“Dave Heeke has demonstrated strong leadership in developing a championship culture at Central Michigan University,” said Ross. “That philosophy has connected athletic and academic achievement along with inspiring individual growth, which sets a tone for the entire university community and our alumni. I am pleased that Dave will be with us moving forward as we continue to build one CMU.”
Heeke joined CMU in 2006 after serving for 18 years in various positions at the University of Oregon. In addition to extending the terms of Heeke’s contract through 2017, his annual salary will increase from $225,334 to $245,000. All other language in the contract will remain the same.
Highlights of his tenure at CMU include:
- Won 17 MAC Championships, 15 MAC Tournament/Regular Season Titles and advanced to the NCAA Tournament 11 times.
- Football played in a bowl game five of the last seven years, winning three of those contests.
- CMU was awarded the inaugural Mid-American Conference Cartwright Award, the MAC’s top institutional award recognizing the university that most completely demonstrates citizenship and academic and athletic success, for the 2008-09 academic year.
- Women’s soccer posted the highest GPA in the nation eight consecutive years while field hockey did the same for five of the last six years. Women’s softball has the second highest team GPA in the nation.
- CMU Athletics fundraising numbers have seen a dramatic increase going from $800,000 in 2006-07 to $1.3 million this past year.
- Facility improvements include the installation of permanent lights and a new video scoreboard at Kelly/Shorts Stadium, the new CMU Events Center, and upgrades to the gymnastics practice facility, softball stadium and field hockey complex.