||Follow Volleyball on Twitter||Watch Live Video vs. Hofstra|
|Listen Live on CMUChippewas.com|
Chippewas to Play Three at Hofstra Tournament
Mount Pleasant, Mich. - The Central Michigan Women’s Volleyball team returns to action this weekend at the Hofstra Invitational in Hempstead, New York.
The Chippewas start off the tournament facing the South Carolina Upstate Spartans (0-5 overall) on Friday at 4:30 p.m, followed by the Princeton Tigers (2-1 overall) at 11 a.m on Saturday and finishing with the host Hofstra (4-3 overall) at 7:30p.m. This weekend’s tournament is the third tournament out of four that the Chippewas (2-4 overall) will play before starting conference play.
· CMU libero Jenna Coates was named MAC West Defensive Player of the Week last week for her performance during the Robert Morris/Duquesne tournament. She averaged 6.33 digs per set in that tournament and is averaging 5.58 digs per set on the season.
· Coates’ season average of 5.58 digs per set is up from last season’s mark of 4.88 digs per set. This pace puts her within striking distance of the number two spot on CMU’s all time leaders in digs for a career, currently held by Ali McCrite (2003-06).
· Approaching a higher spot of her own, junior outside hitter Kaitlyn McIntyre, fresh off All-Tournament honors last weekend, needs just 88 kills to move past Sarah Warner for seventh all time on CMU’s career kill list.
· McIntyre is currently averaging 3.62 kills per set, up from her career average of 3.37 kills per set last season. This rate would currently place her at second all time in kills per set average at CMU, if her career were to end today.
· Senior setter Kelly Maxwell is having a strong season, averaging 11.04 assist per game for the Chippewas. Her 2,868 career assists ranks her third on CMU’s all time career assists list.
· The first opponent for the Chippewas will be the South Carolina Upstate Spartans, who are led by sophomore outside hitter Kayla Eversgerd and junior libero Kelsey Bagwell. Friday’s matchup will be the first ever between CMU and USCU.
· Host Hofstra University is undefeated at home this season (4-0), where they will face the Chippewas this upcoming weekend. CMU is 0-2 all time against Hofstra but could record their first victory against the Pride this Saturday.
· The Chippewas will also play Princeton for the first time ever. The Tigers are led by the play of freshman setter Lauren Miller and sophomore libero Sarah Daschbach.