CMU Splits Saturday Doubleheader at No. 23 Stetson
Courtesy: Robert Barclay/CMU
Central Michigan senior Ryan Longstreth delivers a pitch at Theunissen Stadium last season. Longstreth struck out three over seven innings Saturday to defeat No. 23 Stetson and earn his first win of the season.

Game 1 Box Score | Game 2 Box Score

DeLAND, Fla. - Senior Ryan Longstreth held No. 23 Stetson to just one run over seven innings in the second game of a doubleheader Saturday, giving Central Michigan a much-needed victory, 7-2.

"We played more of a style that I want us to play in game two today," head coach Steve Jaksa said."The intensity level was good, we worked hard and we did the things it takes to win a game instead of worrying about winning the game. Ryan did a great job and just like Cooper on Friday night, if we get outings like that we are going to win a lot of games."

The Chippewas (2-4) led from start to finish in the second game of the twin bill, taking an early 1-0 lead in the top of the first. Junior Jordan Dean led off with a walk, moved to second on a sacrifice bunt by junior Tom Lally and later came around to score when senior Nate Theunissen reached on an error by the Hatters' (5-1) second baseman Robert Crews.

After Longstreth gave up a leadoff single to Mark Jones in the bottom of the first, the lefty went to work, holding the Hatters hitless over the next three-plus innings, sitting down 11-straight batters at one point.

The success of Longstreth was aided during the stretch by Lally in center field, who made two spectacular running catches on the warning track, and Russell in left who made a catch at the wall to prevent two runs.

The Maroon and Gold were able to build their lead while Longstreth was dominating on the mound, tacking on two more runs in the top of the fourth inning. After redshirt freshman Tyler Huntey reached on an error by Ben Carhart, senior Sam Russell and redshirt freshman Nick Regnier drew back-to-back walks. Junior Randon Henika then came to the plate and recorded his first hit as a Chippewa, driving in two runs for a 3-0 CMU lead.

After a Lally sac fly in the top of the seventh that plated Dean gave the Chippewas a 4-0 lead, the Hatters finally got to Longstreth in the bottom of the frame. Back-to-back singles put runners on first and second and a failed double-play attempt moved Spencer Theisen to third where he would eventually tag and score on a Trey Blackman sacrifice fly.

CMU responded to the Hatter threat in the next inning however, scoring two more runs on RBI singles by senior Eric Wrozek and Dean. The Chippewas added their final run in the top of the eighth on a RBI single by Huntey that plated Lally.

SU's Spencery Theisen hit a solo home run in the bottom of the ninth in an attempt to spark a come-from-behind win for the Hatters, but junior Dietrich Enns was able to get Mitchell Brennan to strike out swinging and Kyle Zech to popout to short to end the game.

Longstreth earned his first win of the season in his first start after coming out the bullpen last weekend at Troy, giving up just the one run on six hits and a walk while striking out three.

Dean and Theunissen each recorded two hits in the game, while William Arnold extended his hitting streak to 14 games with a single in the top of the ninth.

Game One
Central Michigan dropped the first game of the doubleheader Saturday at Melching Field to host Stetson, 11-3.

The Hatters scored in every inning but the fifth and the Chippewas had a season-high five errors in the game resulting in eight unearned runs.

SU got on the board in the bottom of the first as leadoff hitter Mark Jones reached on an error by third baseman Eric Wrozek and later came around to score on a fielder's choice in which Sam Kimmel beat out a double-play attempt. Kimmel later came around to score on a wild pitch by senior Jon Weaver and Ben Carhart gave the Hatters a 3-0 lead scoring on a Spencer Theisen groundout.

After the Hatters added another run in the bottom of the second, the Chippewas got on the board with two runs in the top of the third. Redshirt freshman Nick Regnier singled with one out and came around to score on a triple by senior Eric Wrozek before junior Tom Lally then reached on a two-out error by Robert Crews, allowing Wrozek to score and CMU to pull within two, 4-2.

A run in the bottom of the third pushed the Stetson lead back to three, 5-2, before three more runs in the bottom of the fourth chased Weaver from the game. After getting two outs on a strikeout and a lineout, Wrozek had another error for the Chippewas and Weaver walked Ryan Lashley to load the bases. Theisen then came to the plate and roped a single to center field, driving in two and ending Weaver's day.

The Hatters added another run when freshman Matt Trowbridge walked back-to-back hitters to make the CMU deficit six, 8-2.

Senior William Arnold extended his hitting streak to 13 games in the top of the fifth inning on a RBI double down the left field line that scored Wrozek, making the score 8-3, but that was the last offense CMU would generate.

Wrozek led the way at the plate, going 2-for-4 with a RBI and a run scored.

The Chippewas and Hatters will conclude their four-game series Sunday at 1 p.m.