The Matchup: Central Michigan vs. Eastern Michigan
Series Record: Central Michigan leads, 54-27-6
Last Meeting: Central Michigan 56, Eastern Michigan 8 (2009)
Last Meeting at Eastern Michigan: Eastern Michigan 56, Central Michigan 52 (2008)
A CMU Win Over Eastern Michigan Would …
… mark the Chippewas’ sixth straight win over a MAC West Division opponent.
… make the Chippewas 2-1 through three games for the third straight season.
… improve to 8-1 the Chippewas’ record in September MAC games since the start of the 2006 season.
… be CMU’s sixth win in its last 10 trips to Ypsilanti dating back to 1990.
Michigan MAC Trophy Competition Begins
Saturday’s game is the first leg in the race for the Michigan MAC Trophy. The traveling trophy is presented annually to the winner of the round-robin competition between Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan and Western Michigan. The Chippewas currently hold the trophy following their wins over EMU and WMU last season.
CMU-EMU Series Notes
• Fourteen of the 20 previous CMU-EMU matchups have been decided by seven points or fewer or gone to overtime. The Chippewas’ 56-8 win last year snapped a streak of five consecutive matchups that had been decided by seven points or less.
• The winning team has scored 45 points or more five times in the last eight seasons, including each of the last three years.
• CMU is 5-3-1 in its last nine trips to Ypsilanti, dating back to the 1990 season.
CMU Defense Ranks Among Nation’s Leaders
The CMU defense has been one of the top units in the country through the season’s first two weeks. The Chippewas rank in the top 20 nationally in points allowed, total yards allowed, rush defense and pass defense.
|Hampton||Temple||Avg. / Natl. Rank|
||49||114||81.5 / 18th|
|Pass Yards||80||151||115.5 / 14th|
|Total Yards||129||265||197.0 / 6th|
||0||13||6.5 / 6th|
Cody Wilson Emerges as Big-Play Threat
Sophomore receiver Cody Wilson posted career highs of seven receptions and 153 receiving yards at Temple, including a 70-yard reception in the third quarter. Through two games, Wilson is averaging 18.2 yards per reception, 12.7 yards per punt return and 172.0 all-purpose yards per game.
Harman Converts Clutch Kick
Redshirt freshman David Harman had never attempted a collegiate field goal when he took the field at Temple last week. His first career attempt, a 31-yarder with 1:11 remaining, tied the score at 10-10 and sent the game to overtime.
Poblah’s Receptions Streak at 26
Senior receiver Kito Poblah has caught at least one pass in 26 consecutive games dating back to the 2008 season. It is tied for the 10th longest active streak in the country. Colorado’s Scotty McKnight has the longest active streak—39 games.
Bellore Leads Nation in Total Tackles
• Nick Bellore enters Saturday’s game with 395 career tackles, the most of any active player in the Bowl Subdivision. Michigan State’s Greg Jones is second with 379 career stops.
• Bellore enters the game 95 tackles shy of Brian Leigeb’s school record of 490 career tackles.
• Bellore has tallied 10 or more tackles in a game 20 times in his career, including a career-high 16 stops on three different occasions.
Special “C” Decals Added to Helmets
The Chippewas are wearing two extra decals on their helmets this season. The first is a gold silhouette of the state of Michigan with a maroon “C” logo in the middle, symbolic of the program’s appreciation for the support it receives from across the state. Players also are receiving award stickers, in the form of CMU’s “C” logo, for their performance throughout the 2010 season.