Courtesy: Jason Kaufman/CMU Athletics
Senior David Harman kicks a field goal in the first half of Central Michigan's 32-31 victory over Iowa. Harman was 4-for-4 on the day, including the game-winner from 47 yards out.
Harman's 47-yard Field Goal Gives CMU 32-31 Win at Iowa

IOWA CITY, Iowa — Senior kicker David Harman booted a 47-yard field goal with three seconds remaining to lift Central Michigan to a thrilling, come-from-behind 32-31 win over Iowa (2-2) on Saturday at Kinnick Stadium. The kick completed an epic rally that saw the Chippewas score nine points in the game’s final 45 seconds.

The win was CMU’s first over a Big Ten opponent since September 12, 2009 when the Chippewas similarly used a last second field goal to knock off instate rival Michigan State 29-27 in East Lansing.

After Iowa fullback Mark Weisman rushed for his third touchdown of the game to put the Hawkeyes on top 31-23, senior quarterback Ryan Radcliff and the CMU offense needed just 1:33 and seven plays to go 64 yards and get back into the game. With 45 seconds remaining, Radcliff hit sophomore wide receiver Titus Davis with a 13-yard touchdown pass to pull the Chippewas within two. However, the two-point conversion failed and CMU’s chances for an upset bid looked slim.

Enter David Harman.

On the ensuing kickoff, Harman’s legend began, when his beautifully placed onside kick was alertly recovered by redshirt freshman wide receiver Jesse Kroll. Aided by 15-yard Iowa penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct and a Radcliff nine-yard run, CMU moved to the Iowa 30-yard line, setting the stage for Harman’s heroics.

The game winner was Harman’s fourth field goal of the day. He also connected on kicks of 33, 25, and 20 yards, despite the windy conditions in Kinnick Stadium.

Radcliff finished the game completing 26-of-35 passes for 283 yards and two touchdowns. He started the game red hot, hitting on his first eight attempts.

Senior wide receiver Cody Wilson was Radcliff’s main target, catching eight passes for 105 yards to extend his consecutive games with a reception streak to 32. He also rushed four times, including three from the “Wildcat” formation, for 20 yards.

Davis, who also caught a 29-yard scoring pass in the second quarter, had two touchdown receptions in a game for the fourth time in his young career. He finished the day with five catches for 74 yards.

The first half was a back-and-forth affair that saw the lead change three times. Iowa scored on its first possession but CMU answered back to tie the game at 7-7 on a Zurlon Tipton eight-yard run. The Chippewas outscored the Hawkeyes 13-0 in the second quarter and headed to halftime with a 23-14 lead. 

Iowa scored 17 unanswered points to begin the second half but Central Michigan remained within striking distance despite not scoring until the final minute of play.   

Central Michigan (2-1) opens MAC play next Saturday at Northern Illinois. Kickoff is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. ET. The Chippewas are the last conference team to beat the Huskies, winning 48-41 in Mount Pleasant on October 1, 2011.