||Follow Volleyball on Twitter||Tournament Central|
|Watch Live vs. Georgia Southern||Listen Live on CMUChippewas.com|
Chippewas set to compete at Georgia Southern Invitational
Mount Pleasant, Mich. - The Central Michigan Women’s Volleyball team returns to action this weekend at the Georgia Southern Invitational in Statesboro,GA.
The Chippewas start off the tournament facing the Jackson State Tigers (1-11 overall) on Friday at 11 a.m, followed by the host Georgia Southern Eagles (9-2 overall) at 7 p.m Friday and finishing with the Charleston Southern Buccaneers (4-7 overall) at 10 the next morning.This weekend’s tournament is the fourth and final tournament that the Chippewas (4-5 overall) will travel to before starting conference play.
• CMU libero Jenna Coates has had a stellar season thus far, achieving the rank of 11th in the country in digs per set with 5.53.
• Coates’ season average of 5.53 digs per set is up from last season’s mark of 4.88 digs per set. This pace puts her within striking distance of the number two spot on CMU’s all time leaders in digs for a career, currently held by Ali McCrite (2003-06).
• Approaching a higher spot of her own, junior outside hitter Kaitlyn McIntyre needs just 63 kills to move past Sarah Warner for seventh all time on CMU’s career kill list. She has 119 kills on the season.
• McIntyre is currently averaging 3.97 kills per set, up from her career average of 3.37 kills per set last season. This rate would currently place her at second all time in kills per set average at CMU, if her career were to end today.
• Senior setter Kelly Maxwell is having a strong season, averaging 11.58 assist per game for the Chippewas. Her 2,947 career assists ranks her third on CMU’s all time career assists list. Maxwell is currently ranked 13th in the nation in assists per set with 11.5, and leads the Mid-American Conference in that category.
• The first opponent for the Chippewas will be the Jackston State Tigers (1-11 overall). The Tigers have been beaten in straight sets in 10 of their 12 matches this season, including 0-2 at home and 1-8 on neutral courts.
• Host Georgia Southern University is on a roll at home this season (3-1), where they will face the Chippewas this upcoming weekend. The Eagles come into the weekend invitational riding a three game win streak.
• The Chippewas will face Charleston Southern University for the first time ever on Saturday. The Bucs are just 1-4 on neutral courts this season, and are led by the play of senior libero Maggie Murphy.