|Live Stats||Follow Volleyball on Twitter||Watch Live Video|
CMU Volleyball Opens 2013 at Golden Grizzlies Invitational
MOUNT PLEASANT, Mich. – The Central Michigan volleyball progam will open its 2013 season at the Golden Grizzlies Invitational hosted by Oakland University this weekend.
The Chippewas will take on the host Golden Grizzlies Friday evening at 7 p.m., before a pair of contests versus Oregon State (10 a.m.) and Villanova (4:30 p.m.) Saturday.
• The Chippewas received three first-place votes and were picked to finish third in the Mid-American Conference West Division in the preseason coaches' poll released Wednesday.
• Senior libero Jenna Coates and junior outside hitter Kaitlyn McIntyre were both honored with Preseason All-MAC West selections Thursday. Both players were named to the All-MAC First Team last season.
• Head Coach Erik Olson is now in his 10th season at the helm of the Chippewas. Olson has posted a winning record in six of the last seven seasons and holds a career record of 124-137.
• Among the nation's leaders in assists per set last season, senior setter Kelly Maxwell returns for the Chippewas looking to orchestrate CMU's high-powered offense. Maxwell finished 2012 with 1,221 assists (11.63/set), good for 17th in the country.
• CMU holds a 25-2 edge over their in-state foe Oakland, while it will be playing Oregon State and Villanova on the hardwood for the first times in program history.
• The Maroon & Gold earned their seventh consecutive AVCA Academic Award during the offseason for posting a cumulative team grade point average of 3.38 during the 2012-13 academic year. All 14 student-athletes on the 2012-13 roster posted a GPA of 3.0 or better.
• Oakland finished fourth in the Summit League last season with a 8-6 conference mark and 15-11 record overall. The Golden Grizzlies were picked to finish fourth in the Summit League and are led by sophomore setter Ciara Schultz.
• Oregon State finished the 2012 season with a 14-18 record, including a 10-2 mark in non-conference play. The Beavers return nine student-athletes who played for the team in 2012 and 10 overall who have competed at the NCAA Division I level. Two starters in Arica Nassar and Haley Clark, in addition to libero Becky Defoe, return for Oregon State.
• Villanova went 11-19 last season but was shaken with several key injuries down the stretch and finished just one match short of the Big East Championship.