Courtesy: Courtesy Photo
Senior forward Bailey McKeon drives the ball down the field against Kent State Friday, November 8.
Chippewas Defeat Kent State, Advance to MAC Championship

OXFORD, Ohio – Central Michigan scored three-second half goals to take down No. 1 seed Kent State Friday afternoon, 3-1. 

The Chippewas advanced to the Mid-American Conference Championship game tomorrow afternoon versus No. 3 seed Miami at 2 p.m.

Despite falling behind the Golden Flashes (8-11) in the first half, the Chippewas (7-11) were able to regroup and got second-half goals from junior Mary Alice Moore, junior Jordyn Brengosz and senior Bailey McKeon to earn the win. 

“I think our team was very confident coming into the game,” head coach Cristy Freese said, “It was a tough first half and I thought Kent played very well. I think it was good we could get out of the half only down by a goal, reorganize ourselves at halftime, then come out strong.”

The Chippewas tied up the contest when junior midfielder Mary Alice Moore scored off the top of the circle at the 38:09 mark of the second period. Senior midfielder Skylar VanNatta recorded an assist on the play.

“Anytime you get a goal it’s going to improve your confidence so that was big and really helped us propel the rest of the half,” Freese said.

Chippewa senior forward Bailey McKeon chipped in a goal passed Kent goalkeeper Andrea Rinehart to further CMU’s (4-2 MAC, 7-11 overall) lead 3-1 at the 46:07 mark of the second period.

The momentum continued at the 44:12 mark of the second period when junior back Jordyn Brengosz tipped in a goal on the left side of the cage off a pass from junior forward Cayleigh Immelman off a rebound for what proved to be the game winner. 

Senior forward Bailey McKeon chipped in a goal passed Kent goalkeeper Andrea Rinehart to further CMU’s (4-2 MAC, 7-11 overall) lead 3-1 at the 46:07 mark of the second period.

The Golden Flashes attempt to gain some ground with four shots on goal after McKeon’s goal but couldn’t convert.

Kent State started off strong offensively with five shots on goal before it could convert. The Golden Flashes took the 1-0 lead at the 28:48 mark in the first period when Karleigh Carlin found the back of the cage by accepting a pass from Julia Hofmann.

Sophomore goalkeeper Sadie Reynolds contributed three crucial saves during the contest. The Chippewas had 11 shots on goal and six penalty corners.

“We’ve played a lot of games and semifinal games against Kent. No lead is safe until those final seconds are off the clock,” Freese said, “I feels great and I’m really happy for my team, especially my seniors.”

CMU will be back in action Saturday, November 9 at 2 p.m. competing for the MAC Title against No. 3 seed Miami.