MOUNT PLEASANT, Mich. - Central Michigan's 2013 season concluded on Sunday after being eliminated by Ball State in a 2-1 MAC Tournament match at the CMU Soccer Complex.
“Some days, unfortunately, the game and the bounces just don’t go your way,” said CMU head coach Peter McGahey. “It’s a hard way to have the bad bounces end like they ended today to close out the season. In terms of what this team accomplished, I could not be more proud of them.”
• The game started with strong defensive play by both teams, especially by Ball State who kept CMU to zero shots on goal in the first half.
• After a scoreless first half, the Chippewas took a 1-0 lead after Morgan Wilcoxon found Eliza Van de Kerkhove on a cross to the left flank, where Van de Kerkhove booted the ball to the open right side of the Ball State goal. Van de Kerkhove’s goal marked the first of her collegiate career. Wilcoxon was awarded her second assist of the season.
• Central Michigan’s goal occurred in a strong first 15 minutes of the second half during which the Chippewas recorded five corner kicks, creating multiple quality scoring chances
• Ball State evened the score in the 68th minute when Elaina Musleh delivered a strike from 12 yards out for her fourth goal of the season. Madison Oyer received her fifth assist of the season on the score. Musleh’s goal snapped Central Michigan’s three game shutout streak at home.
• After an intense back-and-forth final 15 minutes play, Ball State delivered the dagger as Gabby Veldman kicked in a rebound after the initial shot by Ball State banged off the high post in the 86th minute. Veldman’s game winner was her second goal of the season.
• Grace Labrecque stopped seven shots, many being critical diving saves, in her final game in a Chippewa uniform. Labrecque finished her season with an 8-6-1 record and with seven shutouts.