Advisors provide a broad range of services to student athletes;
• academic advising and counseling,
• monitor academic performance,
• monitor initial and continuing eligibility
• meet and communicate regularly with coaches and administrators,
• contact CMU faculty and staff to gather information on the performance of students,
• meet with professors, advisors, and college deans as requested,
• provide students and professors excuse letters for required athletic travel,
• coordinate awards for academic and scholarship opportunities,
• collect and report data to various offices (e.g., MAC, NCAA, respective coaches associations),
• meet with prospective student-athletes and families on recruiting visits.
Study table is an organized and supervised study environment available for students based upon coaches' request The Enberg Academic Center is open to every student-athlete on Sunday from 6:00pm-10:00pm, Monday-Thursday from 8:00am-10:00pm, and on Friday from 8:00am-4:00pm. The study hall room, tutorial services, and the computer lab all can be accessed during study hall time.
Every freshman and selected student-athletes are required to accomplish between 4 to 8 hours of study hall each week. The academic advisors, along with study hall monitors, oversee study hall each day and evening. This study hall requirement is designed to help the student-athletes with time management skills, use the resources available to them, and to help them adjust to the challenging academic expectations at Central Michigan University.
Students who are potentially at-risk or at the request of their coach are required to meet weekly with their academic advisor or an academic mentor. Mentors are often former student-athletes and/or graduate students. The following are discussed in weekly meetings:
• current academic performance/standing in class,
• upcoming events and/or assignments due in the student-athlete's courses
• developing effective study skills,
• learning time management strategies and organization skills
• transitioning from high school into college
Athletic Academic Services offers a comprehensive tutorial program for CMU student-athletes. The athletic department employs undergraduate and graduate student tutors to provide assistance in a wide variety of academic subject areas.